Where next for Labour?


I was heartbroken by the 2019 General Election result. I really believed in Labour’s message and manifesto and I believed Labour had a credible solution to the climate crisis and to Brexit. I thought people would see Boris for the charlatan that he is and that he led a poor and misjudged campaign. I thought people wanted change. I was wrong. 

But what happened and what do we (the left) do next?

As I watched Election debates, I was bored senseless with Boris’  “Get Brexit Done” response to almost every issue. “We can deal with this once Brexit is finished” or “We can’t do this until Brexit is done” whilst Labour actually addressed issues directly. as the results came in though, it appears this strategy worked. I felt heartbroken and depressed.

Once a few days passed I looked at the election results, and I saw that in percentages the left vastly outnumbered the Tory vote, yet a majority had been won. Then is dawned on me. Not only is the first past the post system outdated, the left is completely divided.

During the campaign I  found myself agreeing with many statements by the Greens, the SNP and Plaid Cymru (climate change, anti-austerity, more public services funding, etc...) but instead of uniting on the left, we squabbled amongst each other. We are united as parties (bar a few individuals) in ending the Tories and bringing about the end of austerity. Instead though, we fight over Brexit and name call each other. Internally in the Labour party, we battle between left and right constantly. We are ‘Corbynites’ or ‘Blairites’ and we do not take the fight to the Tories. In fact, some supporters spend more time fighting other party members than the Tories. Others called anyone who didn’t agree with them stupid or refused to listen to any compromise. This needs to change.

I thought the Tories were divided and indeed they were. The fact that the likes of Tory heavyweights Ken Clarke, Michael Hestletine and even former Tory PM John Major openly spoke out against Boris and the direction of the Tories speaks volumes. The fact Boris took the whip from a large number of MPs had me rubbing my hands at the seeming end of the Tories. In the end though, this ‘purge’ was actually the rise of Boris and of a new Tory party edging ever further to the right wing.

Boris could now enter a campaign without the shackles of internal criticism and go into the election campaign with full support towards a simple “get Brexit done” message, picking candidates that supported this Brexit at any cost approach. Because of that, Farage stood aside to let the Tories win in marginal and take away Labour votes. It worked spectacularly.

People are so sick of Brexit they really do want to get it done. The simple rhetoric of Boris to do this meant that even lifelong Labour voters were swayed to vote Tory. This was not helped by the Mainstream Media (MSM) who billed the election as “The Brexit Election”. It was the second referendum to many voters.

As a consequence of this ”second referendum”, the infighting and division on the left, Labour (and indeed most of us) lost out and the Tories gained a whopping majority.

But what now?

As a supporter of Jeremy Corbyn, I am sad to see him leave as leader. Jeremy led the party in a much more progressive direction and is in no small part a reason why my personal interest and faith in politicians has been restored after many years of disillusionment and lack of faith; it was because of Jeremy I joined the Labour Party. However, despite strides and rises in vote percentages in the 2017 General Election, it is clear that it is indeed time for Jeremy to pass on the baton. But who should be the next leader and what is the next stage for the left?

Labour must unite and it must work with other parties if the Tories are to be defeated. Many seats, including Colchester where I grew up, were lost to a split on the left. The Lib Dems and Labour sharing the larger part of the vote lost out to Will Quince and the Conservatives. The majority of voters not wanting the Tories. Granted we have an outdated voting system, but until this is changed (something now unlikely with Boris) we have to have another strategy to oust Boris. If either Labour or the Lib Dem candidates in Colchester had stood aside, we would be looking at a Yellow or Red Colchester.

If we are seriously going to removed Boris from power, we on the left need to talk and compromise to plan the best strategy. I have a number of friends in Colchester that voted Lib Dem over Labour because of policies that both parties actually shared. Others voted because of the candidates rather than party allegiance (which is perfectly fair and reasonable). But, we really need to start talking on the left and standing candidates aside to beat the Tories. We need to work together to get candidates that would appeal to undecided voters as well as those left leaning. Far too often up and down the country, this pattern was apparent that the left vote was split so a Tory candidate could win.

The final issue against us was the mainstream media. Without sounding like someone with a tin foil hat on, there has been widespread criticism of the MSM. Not only with the “Brexit Election” rhetoric but the outright favourability of Boris (note the Sun/Times/Murdoch and co’s headlines actually announcing outright support for Boris). It’s evidence much of the impartial press is dead and that most favour those that support big business and the rich over those that raise valid criticism (Tax-dodging/Cayman Islands anyone?).

Such things are drastically needed to be considered by the next leader and I feel that Jeremy could have addressed the issues of Party division and division on the left. Sadly, nothing could be done about the MSM, but maybe the attacks, though valid, could have been less aggressive ( and here I point more to the likes of momentum more than Jeremy). Jeremy’s on the ground and social media campaign was excellent and certainly gained the support of members. It was a strategy that worked in 2017 and I think, would work once the shadow of Brexit is gone – but isn’t hindsight a wonderful thing?

Who though could offer a solution to these issues?

The candidates to be Labour Leader have now been announced and my immediate two favourites are Keir Starmer and Rebecca Long-Bailey. Why is this? Well both have said very similar messages and when I’ve seen both of them speak in the commons and in debates/interviews and I have agreed with them more than other candidates.. Both have also actively spoken about human rights and about the climate emergency. Both are anti-Tory and anti Thatcherism/neoliberalism. Both believe in the people and in the left.

For me though, I feel Keir would appeal more to the unsure voters and to those that voted Lib Dem I also feel he could unite the divisions within the Labour Party itself as he has strong support with MPs and members. I also feel Keir would stand up to Boris with close scrutiny and evidence – he is from the legal profession after all and his articulation and abilities in debates is very clear. He also holds a cool head and commanding presence. Granted, Rebecca has many of these qualities, but I feel these along with the ability to unite are factors that, just, put Keir ahead of Rebecca (for me at least). Also, I feel Keir would appeal to many MSM outlets. Murdoch can be damned and is unlikely to be won over, but if others can be won over, it could be a major factor.

Why not the other candidates? Well, Jess Phillips is too divisive in the Party and only offers quick retorts with little substance. Jess can be impressive, but I think lacks leadership quality and conviction. I feel she says what is popular rather than has substance. Emily Thornbury, for me, lacks consistency and is partial to many ‘fluffs’ which I feel the media have had a field day with. Lisa Nandy has not impressed me in debates/interviews and I feel lacks any sense of command as well as experience or indeed presence (sorry Lisa). These candidates have also not, for me, stood fully by the principals I believe in or voiced them enough. The exception is the final candidate Clive Lewis who is an excellent MP and has been impressive whenever I have seen him. Clive is certainly my third choice for leader, but ultimately I feel Keir and Rebecca hold better leadership qualities – this could change though.

For Deputy Leader? I cannot honestly decide between Angela Raynor and Dawn Butler. Both have been impressive in the commons and on TV. Both offer views I generally agree with. Angela seems to have more fire in her belly but I feel Dawn offers a calm and rational approach that could work well with both Rebecca and Keir where I feel Angela would only work best with Rebecca. However, this one will take much consideration for me and is a tough choice.

Ultimately, though, I will see how the campaigns pan out and read more into all the candidates. There is still plenty of time to decide. We do though need to rethink our strategy winning back votes of former Labour voters and unite our own party. We need to make our main focus to oust Boris and, for me, address the very serious issue of the climate emergency. This is what I will be focussing on in our next leader and who I will want in number 10.

Whoever wins though, I will support 100% and we all need to do this.


Comments